Stamford Badminton Club
25th of August 2020
We are getting back on court! Tuesday and Thursday club nights will start again from Tuesday the 1st of September 2020 however, things will look quite different for the time being.
We will be strictly observing the government guidelines which are detailed below. Anyone showing up that hasn't followed the instructions detailed here will unfortunately have to be turned away so you must digest all of this very long message I'm afraid.
A Covid-19 Officer will be assigned to each club night. They will be responsible for ensuring that all players observe the guidelines and will also be the central point of contact for allocating the court groups of no more than 6 players per court. Any mix of these 6 players is permitted in games on their allocated court but there can be no mixing outside of that 6 person court group during the evening.
Each player will need to book themselves on each session to enable us to control the numbers, ensure that friends and family 'bubbles' can be maintained where required and record contact details for track and trace. Families do not need to register as a bubble if they are happy to be split across court groups for the entire evening.
The booking system for each week will open at 08:00 on the Friday morning for the following week only so you might want to set yourselves some reminders. After that time players that are well and have no symptoms can email here selecting which session(s) they would like to attend on the following Tuesday and Thursday. The Covid-19 Officer will reply to the email stating whether they are booked in or on the waiting list in the event of an over subscribed session. If a player's availability changes they must email again with as much notice as possible to enable the Covid-19 Officer to reassign free places and contact players on the waiting list. Spaces will be prioritised by email "received by" date and time order.
By making a booking each player is agreeing to abide by the guidelines and to recognise the authority of the Covid-19 Officer. Anyone who has concerns over mixing must make their own decision on whether it is appropriate for them to attend. The club will manage each session to ensure that it is as safe as possible but some people will be sharing court space with players outside of their household or bubble and must accept the risks that will come with that. The wearing of face masks is not a requirement.
Anyone that has participated in a session and develops symptoms should let us know.
Players are free to arrange themselves into a 6 player group prior to emailing their booking otherwise the Covid-19 Officer will allocate the court groups so that bubbles are maintained and playing abilities are taken into account, doing their best to make sure everyone can get a game at the appropriate level. Please be aware that this system of player distribution will not always provide every player with their perfect evening of badminton so please work with the Covid-19 Officer to ensure their task is not any more difficult than it has to be. Due to unexpected changes it is probable that the Covid-19 Officer will not know the final arrangement of the court groups until just before the start of the session.
Subscriptions will temporarily work on a pay as you play basis at a cost of £5 per night for adults and £2.50 for juniors. It is possible that the club will introduce full subscriptions later in the season, which are currently set at £66/£33 however, any payments already made by members will be deducted from the full subscription. We will be encouraging bank transfers as payment. It would be helpful if you could set us up as a payee in advance. We can accept cash if necessary, preferably if no change is required.
Each court's waiting area will be staggered across the hall (Court #1 - left / Court #2 - right / Court #3 - left / Court #4 - right) and a bottle of hand sanitiser will be available in each area. Every player will be required to sanitise before going on court.
Coaching sessions are suspended until further notice but will start again as soon as it is safe and practical to do so.
League matches are also suspended in their usual format although it is possible that we may entertain a version of inter-club competitive play as long as the risk level is no higher than on a normal club night.
We are going to have to ask you all for some patience. This version of club badminton is not how we would normally choose to run our sessions and we will be finding our way with how it will all work. There will be some trial and error and the local and national guidelines can also change at any time. Please trust that we will do our best to get you on court in an enjoyable and safe way.
Government guidelines 25/08/2020 (full copy here):
Organising Your Session
Your sessions must be managed by the designated session Covid-19 Officer. This person may be able to take part in play depending on numbers but must be able to manage the session. The ability to maintain social distancing will determine the total number of people in your sessions.
• A maximum of six players must be grouped together; the number will be determined by the space you have in order to maintain social distancing. If space allows, you may group players on one court and its surrounding run-off area; you may group them over more courts if necessary. You can have more than one group in a hall within a session as long as social distancing is maintained.
• Players cannot change groups within a session– they must stay within their allocated group but can play in a different group at the next session (as long as this is not on the same day).
• You must implement a pre-booking system which will enable you to keep attendance records for a minimum of 21 days. This will enable you to manage the number of players attending each session and their allocation into groups for play, allowing for you to maintain social distancing measures. You cannot allow members to play without them having pre-booked their attendance. You must be able to record who has played in each group within your session and collect all information that may be required by NHS Test and Trace.
• If collecting monies from players, you should use online or contactless payment wherever possible.
• Both singles play and doubles play can take place in groups of people from different households, as long as you remain 2 metres apart as far as possible – meaning that four people from different households can play doubles.
• You can play singles and doubles using all areas of the court, within the respective court markings – if social distancing between adjacent courts cannot be maintained, you should only use the singles court markings.
• We recommend that you do not change ends.
• Players are advised to limit their interactions with anyone outside of the group they are playing in (e.g. players in another group). • [UPDATED] Other than where players are from the same household or part of a support bubble, follow Government advice on staying alert and safe, and:
• Stay at least two metres away from other players (including during play) as much as possible, when taking breaks and before and after play.
• Do not make physical contact with other players (such as shaking hands or high fiving).
• Avoid chasing the shuttle down towards another court if other players are using it.
• For doubles, consider agreeing in advance which player will take the shot if a shuttle travels to the centre of the court.
• Wherever possible, the whole court area (including the side/back tramlines) can be used, e.g., where there are empty courts adjacent or large run-off areas between courts well in excess of social distancing requirements.
• However, if social distancing between players on adjacent courts cannot be maintained, play should only take place within the singles court markings.
• To meet social distancing guidelines, anyone not playing on court must remain at least 2 metres from those playing and each other.
• Activity can take place in groups of people from different households. As the guidance on group (gathering) sizes changes regularly, please check our website for the latest advice.
• Players can rotate within the group but social distancing must be maintained within this group. You cannot move groups within a session. • You can have more than one group in a hall providing you are able to maintain social distancing within the space available. A group could, for example, be housed on one court and its surrounding run-off area or across more than one court.
• All movement on and off court and around the hall must be controlled by the designated session Covid-19 Officer. You should adopt a one-way flow around the hall where possible.
• As a club or coach organising a session, you should ensure that you provide hand sanitiser for your players.
• Players and coaches must take all their own equipment they need for the session keeping to essential items.
• You cannot share equipment.
• Clean and wipe down your equipment before and after use.
• You must only use your own racket(s).
• The sharing of shuttles is permitted. Please ensure you have thoroughly washed your hands (in accordance with Government guidance) or used hand sanitiser immediately before and after play. You should avoid touching your face.
• Players must avoid using their hands to pick up shuttles from other courts; where possible - use your own racket to return them.
• Bring a full water bottle, clearly marked and do not share food or drink with others.
• Equipment bags should be stored behind the court you are playing on and at least 2 metres from the back of the court and any other players. • Ensure you take all your belongings with you at the end of the session and do not leave anything on court.
• Avoid using/touching other equipment such as nets, posts, court mops where possible. If you have to set up or take down nets, for example, ensure you wash your hands immediately afterwards in line with Government guidance.
• In addition to the advice above, you should allocate shuttles to each group of players in line with how you are organising the session in the hall.
• As long as strict hygiene rules are applied, each player within a group is able to handle the shuttles allocated to that group and should not handle any shuttles allocated to other groups.
Welcome to Stamford Badminton Club
Our long established badminton club welcomes players of all abilities and we are always looking for new members of all ages.
Our main season runs from September to April with club nights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We also run a summer season from May to June.
The Tuesday club nights start at 19:30 to 21:30 where beginners, families and social players enjoy badminton in a fun and easy going atmosphere.
The Thursday club nights are for senior members and experienced juniors who are looking for a more challenging game between 19:30 and 21:30.
We play on four courts and mix everyone up using a peg-board system so that all players get variety of games.
We invite experienced players to join our mixed and men's teams who compete in the Rutland and Stamford League and the Huntingdon and Peterborough League across Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Rutland, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire. Have a look at the league tables to see how we're doing this season.
We work hard to keep our costs as low as possible so we our fees are accessible to the whole community.
Our fees are:
Main Season (September - April):
£5 per night (£2.50 juniors) or
£66 per one night season (£33 juniors) or
£132 per two night season
Summer Season (May - June):
£5 per night (£2.50 juniors) or
£30 per season (£15 juniors)
We provide nets and shuttles, just bring your own racket! (although we usually have a couple of spares).
Please contact us to ensure that we can accommodate you as we occasionally get over subscribed but we maintain a waiting list that ensures that you will get to join us.
If we have confirmed that we can accommodate you then it would be greatly appreciated if you would complete our membership form and familiarise yourself with the club's rules, codes of conduct and policy documents in the resources section.
You can find us at:
Stamford Welland Academy Sports Hall
Stamford. PE9 1HE